We are a third of the way through October, and the leaves are starting to change!
Our family has really enjoyed my break from social media and our adventures outside this month.
- I have finished one fiction book and am nearly to the end of a non-fiction book I’ve had on my kindle app for about a year.
- We cleaned up our garden as the fall days set in and the growing season draws to a close.
- I spent last weekend cleaning and organizing my children’s playroom. (more on that in this week’s Living Lightly Email — have you subscribed yet? Click here.)
- I’m going to bed earlier and sleeping better. Starting and ending my days with something different than social media scrolling is definitely a good thing.
- I’m cooking more meals, and our family has even had a few picnics together outside. (Or, as my 3-year-old calls them, “pink-its”!)
- We’ve spent a good deal of time outside together, where both of my kids hit milestones. My son learned to ride his bike without training wheels and my daughter finally crossed the bridge on our local playground structure without my help.
Plus I’ve been able to work on projects that have been put on the back burner for lack of time, and I’ve had great and important conversations about life with my husband in the evenings since I’m spending less time scrolling through my phone.
In fact, I’ve gone from 5 hours on my phone every day (SO embarrassing) to 3 hours. That’s still quite a bit, but it includes reading on the kindle app, texting with my friends and family, and taking videos of my children conquering their fears, instead of just numbing my brain.
So far, Offline October is off to a great start. This weekend begins two weeks of fall break for my children, so we’ll have more time for family fun and outdoor adventures. I hope you’ll take some time offline and outdoors as well!
How is your October going? Have you had any great outdoor adventures in the beautiful fall weather?
I’d love to hear your thoughts and keep the conversation going. Comment below or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tomorrow morning I’ll be sending out my weekly email to subscribers. Last week I offered some fun family tips for spending time outside. What’s coming tomorrow? You’ll have to subscribe to find out! Click here and sign up!